The Metro recently ran an article on the most annoying words today with prizes going to the much overused “whatever”, “like”, “you know” and “just saying”; you can check out the article here Metro: “Seriously, there are literally millions of words that are basically annoying. Just sayin’”
Working in online marketing, I have also developed hatred for many industry-specific words. Here are 5 that always get me:
- Incremental – often impossible to prove so!
- Boutique agency – we can’t get many clients.
- Strategist – surely most are actually tacticians?
- A viral – seldom lives up to its name.
- Insights – stating the obvious.
To add to that, there are also lots of cryptic phrases that suggest one thing but actually mean the exact opposite:
- “We have been optimising your campaign” – they worked on other things.
- “To implement, simply drop one line of code on your site” – you know what follows!
- “CTR has been quite strong” – hides a financial catastrophe.
I am sure there are loads of more and better examples out there. What are your favourites?
PS: All this reminds me of the blurb used by social media people, neatly turned into a handy tool on this website http://whatthefuckismysocialmediastrategy.com/
PPS: No insult intended towards those that use these expressions. Just a warning :)